Chairman Takano: “House Republicans just walked out on women veterans”
Jenni Geurink (202-225-9756)
Miguel R. Salazar
Washington, D.C. — Today, House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs Chairman Mark Takano released the following statement after the full Committee markup where the Committee passed all 10 bills despite Republicans walking out and refusing to vote on the Deborah Sampson Act:
“House Republicans just walked out on women veterans by refusing to vote on an historic and monumental bill to extend care and benefits included in the Deborah Sampson Act.
“My Republican colleagues had a seat at the table every step of the way. Instead of bringing forth meaningful, productive additions to legislation that will improve the lives of women veterans, they added toxic, partisan amendments – none of which worked to address how women veterans receive care.
“By attempting to hijack a bipartisan bill backed by14 Veteran Service Organizations- including 6 specifically advocating for women veterans, they have left these veterans behind.
“Congresswomen Brownley’s legislation would establish an Office of Women’s Health, substantially address sexual harassment and assault at VA, and strengthen transparency and reporting on gaps and opportunities that require attention for women veterans.
“Republicans chose to walk away from our markup and walk out on the 2 million women veterans whose lives will be enhanced by this legislation.”
A full list of bills passed can be found below:
- A.N.S. to H.R. 4771 (Rep. Cunningham) to permit appellants to appear in disability compensation cases before the Board of Veterans Appeals by picture and voice transmission from locations other than VA facilities; Sponsored by Rep. Cunningham
- H.R. 4852 (Rep. Torres) the GIVE Act
- H.R. 4356, Protecting Families of Fallen Servicemembers Act; Sponsored by Rep. Harder
- A.N.S. to H.R 2227 (Rep. Rose) Gold Star spouses and Spouses of Injured Servicemembers Leasing Relief Expansion Act of 2019; Sponsored by Rep. Bustos
- H.R. 4183 Identifying Barriers and Best Practices Study; Sponsored by Rep. Khanna
- H.R. 4360 VA Overpayment Accountability Act; Sponsored by Rep. Kim
- H.R. 3996 VA Design-Build Construction Enhancement Act of 2019; Sponsored by Rep. Banks
- A.N.S. to H.R. 3530 (Rep. Takano) Improving Confidence in Veterans Care Act; Sponsored by Rep. Cloud
- H.R. 1424 Fallen Warrior Battlefield Cross Memorial Act; Sponsored by Rep. Gonzalez
- A.N.S. to H.R. 3224 (Rep. Brownley) the Deborah Sampson Act; Sponsored by Rep. Brownley
All bill language can be found on the Committee Repository Here.
Next Article Previous Article