The Technology Modernization Subcommittee Majority Staff Director is responsible for directing and managing the activities of the Subcommittee, which includes oversight, policy development, and legislative efforts related to all enterprise information technology (IT) activities of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with a particular focus on the Electronic Health Record Modernization (EHRM) program.
The Subcommittee Staff Director develops and executes an oversight plan in consultation with Committee leadership, advises the Committee and Subcommittee chairs on IT issues and related matters, plans oversight hearings, develops relevant legislation, and supports the Committee’s oversight and legislative activities. The Technology Modernization Subcommittee Majority Staff Director reports to the HVAC Majority Staff Director.
- Carry out robust congressional oversight of VA enterprise IT programs and related policy initiatives.
- Advise the Committee Chair, Subcommittee Chair, and HVAC Majority Staff Director on VA IT and related matters, and assist in the development and implementation of strategic and policy goals.
- Assist and advise the Committee Chair, Subcommittee Chair, and HVAC Majority Staff Director on legislative initiatives and activities of the Committee, including the drafting of legislation.
- Develop and execute an oversight plan, including proposed hearings, oversight letters, site visits, etc., in consultation with Committee leadership.
- Supervise Subcommittee staff and manage all aspects of Subcommittee activities and work product.
- Prepare and manage all aspects of Subcommittee oversight hearings.
- Maintain professional relationships with key stakeholders to facilitate oversight activities.
- Monitor legislative needs and developments within congressional committees and on the House floor within the IT-related issue areas of responsibility.
- Draft hearing statements and floor speeches for the Committee Chair and Subcommittee Chair.
- Coordinate IT oversight and investigative initiatives with other HVAC subcommittees and relevant House Committees.
- Serve as primary contact on IT policy and oversight matters for counterparts in the Senate and other House committees/subcommittees, VA, CBO.
- Review and evaluate laws, programs, legislative proposals and necessity for further action within the area of responsibility.
- College degree required
- Background in congressional oversight strongly preferred
- Background in government IT contracting
- Some knowledge of IT project management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others
- Knowledge of the legislative process
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail
- Availability to work non-traditional hours on occasion
- Formulate oversight and investigative initiatives for VA IT issue areas which includes:
- provide substantial input on the creation of an oversight plan;
- direct and oversee investigations within subcommittee jurisdiction;
- execute Subcommittee activities relevant to the oversight plan.
- Provide leadership responsibility for all Subcommittee activities including but not limited to the following:
- draft oversight letters;
- coordinate and attend briefings on relevant subject matter;
- identify and prepare witnesses;
- oversee the Subcommittee’s witness invitations;
- oversee the writing and preparation of memoranda, opening statements, and questions;
- assist in preparation of Chair’s briefing papers;
- ensure appropriate preparation for hearings;
- ensure proper follow-up after conclusions of hearings;
- coordinate with HVAC staff counterparts, communication staff, and chief counsel.
- Provide information on and generate ideas for press and other outreach efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Majority Staff Director.
Candidates will be evaluated on experience, skills, character and fitness, and how well you meet the qualifications and requirements above. In an effort to build a diverse and more inclusive work environment, the Committee strongly encourages veterans, minority, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates to apply. Salary range $115-$125k, commensurate with experience.
The Committee is accepting applications for internships on a rolling basis.
Please note that all internships will be remote during the COVID-19 pandemic.