Hurricane Sandy Resources for Veterans
Resources for Veterans Affected by Hurricane Sandy*
Due to the widespread damage of Hurricane Sandy, several VA facilities remain closed in the New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey area. Facilities affected include:
- The Manhattan Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) – Closed
- New York Regional Office – Open as of November 9, 2012
To find a VA facility if you are in one of the affected areas, please click here.
VA Primary and Extended Care Center
179th Street and Linden Blvd
St. Albans, NY 11425
To see if your benefits may be affected by Hurricane Sandy, please click here.
If You Have Been Displaced
Veterans who have been displaced from their homes are urged to call VA’s National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at (877) 424-3838 to speak with a VA responder.
In addition, the following shelters are open to veterans and the public in the Queens, New York, area:
- Queens College, 65-30 Kissena Boulevard
- Queensborough Community College, 222-05 56th Avenue
- York College, 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Boulevard
- Grover Cleveland High School, 21-27 Himrod Street
- I.S. 217, 85-05 144th Street
- Belmont Racetrack, Hempstead Turnpike & Cross Island Parkway
- John Adams High School, 101-01 Rockaway Boulevard · P.S. 136, 201-15 115th Avenue
- P.S. 19, 98-02 Roosevelt Avenue
- I.S. 74, 61-15 Oceania Street
- J.H.S. 185, 147-26 25th Drive
- Bayside High School, 32-24 Corp. Kennedy Boulevard
- Forest Hills High School, 67-01 110th Street
- P.S. 175, 64-35 102nd Street
- William C. Bryant High School, 48-10 31st Avenue
- P.S. 20, 142-30 Barclay Avenue
- Newcomers High School, 28-01 41st Avenue
- P.S. 166, 33-09 35th Avenue
- Newtown High School, 48-01 90th Street
- Flushing High School, 35-01 Union Street
- Hillcrest High School, 160-05 Highland Avenue
- Aviation High School, 45-30 36th Street
To find additional shelters near you, please contact the New York City Department of Homeless Services Resources at:
Adult Families and Veteran Services NYC Dept of Homeless Services: (212) 361-6504
NYC Department of Homeless Services (212) 361-0981
The Committee would like to express its gratitude to the first responders and members of the National Guard who are continuing to work day and night to help those in need along the East Coast. Thank you.
This page will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.
*All information provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs