Miller: “Protect Veterans’ Healthcare First”
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Today, Rep. Jeff Miller, Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, issued the following statement on President Obama’s Veterans Job Corps initiative:
“I look forward to learning more about the President’s initiatives. Veterans deserve nothing less than to have the opportunity to gain meaningful employment and to be first in line for any existing jobs program.
“My immediate concern, however, is the potential for cuts to veterans’ healthcare this coming year through sequestration. Due to a conflict in the law, the Department of Veterans Affairs may be subject to a 2% cut in medical care—a cut that would significantly impact the care provided to America’s veterans. Despite repeated requests made to the President and Secretary of Veterans Affairs over the past six months, I have not received any assurance—and more important, nor have our veterans—that these cuts will not take place.
“Today, I will, therefore, introduce the Protect VA Healthcare Act of 2012 to remove any ambiguity from the law and ensure existing funding for veterans is in no way adversely affected in the years ahead. We must protect our veterans’ healthcare first.
“We must also always look to plot the course ahead that serves the best interest of our veterans in the long-term. It starts with getting our economy going again. Short-term spending and temporary programs have failed and are not the solution. I am hopeful that the Administration will work with Congress to get our businesses hiring again in order to give America’s veterans the chance to lead the successful and productive lives they deserve when they return home.”
To become a co-sponsor on this legislation, please contact Jessica Eggimann at (202) 225-3527.
- Download Press Release (PDF) »
- Chairman Miller's Letter to President Obama (1/13/12) »
- Letter of Support from The American Legion (February 7, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from the Independent Budget (February 7, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from Fleet Reserve Assocation (February 9, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from NAUS (February 23, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from the AUSN (March 21, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from Blinded Veterans Association (April 16, 2012) »
- Read Chairman Miller’s Letter to OMB (April 25, 2012).pdf »