Despite repeated requests made to the President and Secretary of Veterans Affairs over the past six months, I have not received any assurance—and more important, nor have our veterans—that these cuts will not take place." —Chairman Jeff Miller
To download this video, please click here.
As a result of the Budget Control Act of 2011, veterans healthcare may be impacted by sequestration in January 2013. These cuts would equate to up to a 2% cut to VA healthcare. A 2% cut would potentially affect a veteran's ability to receive healthcare in a timely manner, affect VA's ability to hire and retain doctors and nurses, and impact VA's ability to acquire needed medical equipment and supplies, including prescription drugs.
In response to a lack of an answer from the Administration to clarify the law and rule in favor of America's veterans, Chairman Jeff Miller has introduced H.R. 3895, the Protect VA Healthcare Act of 2012 to ensure that funding for America's veterans are not cut—today, or in the future.
Our veterans protected us, it is time for us to protect them.
About H.R. 3895
- The Protect VA Healthcare Act of 2012
- For a list of current co-sponsors to H.R. 3895, click here.
- To become a co-sponsor on H.R. 3895, please contact Jessica Eggimann at (202) 225-3527.
The House Committee on Veterans' Affairs will continue to lead on this issue, and will keep veterans informed here at Veterans.House.Gov/3895, on Facebook at Facebook.com/HouseVetsAffairs, and on Twitter at Twitter.com/HouseVetAffairs, hashtags:
- Sequestration Cuts 'Unclear' at VA, Military.com (April 11, 2012)
- Miller Accuses Obama Administration of Leaving Veterans 'Twisting in the Wind,' Washington Post (February 15, 2012)
- Sequestration and VA: Our Veterans Deserve an Answer, The Hill (February 10, 2012)
- VA and Sequestration: A Bad Combination, Military.com (February 8, 2012)
Support for H.R. 3895
- Letter of Support from The American Legion (February 7, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from the Independent Budget (February 7, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from Fleet Reserve Assocation (February 9, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from NAUS (February 23, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from the AUSN (March 21, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from Blinded Veterans Association (April 16, 2012) »
- Letter of Support from the Association of the U.S. Army (April 18, 2011)